Summer Scares Resources

Click here to immediately access the Summer Scares Resource page so that you can add some professionally vetted horror titles into your reading suggestions and fiction collections for all age levels.

Thursday, January 18, 2018

2017 Stoker Awards Preliminary Ballot Announced


As many of you know, I am involved in the jury process for the Stoker Awards. The Stokers use a balance of jury and member input to create the preliminary ballot before sending that off to Active members for voting to come up with the official nominees. 


This is my second year being actively involved in the entire process from jury to voting [I am an active, writing member of HWA] and so far, I can attest to the fact that this process works. I was very impressed with the entire process last year and so far this year, I couldn’t be more proud to be involved.

No not every book I loved or advocated for made it to the next round, some that I even added to the Recs list for consideration didn’t make it through, but I have read many of the titles [even outside my specific category] and I can say that this is a solid representation of the current state of horror fiction.

From your perspective as the library worker this list is perfect for making suggestions to patrons AND for using to assess and make additions to your collections.

Here is a link to the entire preliminary ballot. I was having trouble formatting it here on the blog without being forced to go through and edit every line of HTML, so I uploaded it. This also allowed me to add a link to every book I officially reviewed. Please note, I have read many more than they links but not all have an official statement on the blog to link to.

Please click through and see all of the works on the preliminary ballot. These are NOT nominees, rather it is like a long list. It is perfect for you to assess your current horror holdings though. Look through the titles, click on some of my reviews, check for other reviews using the reputable sources in my review index, and consider adding some new titles to freshen up your scary reads.

No comments:

Post a Comment